Transportation, distribution and logistics
The logistics behind the distribution of your products and services can have a major impact on your bottom line. Examine ways you can ensure your product distribution methods are optimal.
Transportation and distribution channels
How you distribute your products and deliver your services can affect your cost and your clients' satisfaction. Finding the best method of shipping and receiving goods is especially important when dealing in large quantities.
Some factors to consider:
- Quantity of items per shipment
- Type of transportation
- Overall transportation costs
You can reduce your costs and improve your customer service by reviewing distribution operations on a regular basis.
Some elements to consider when transporting goods:
- Type of products (perishable, non-perishable, dangerous)
- Availability of goods and time needed to source them
- Access to suppliers (abroad or in Canada)
- Time needed to deliver goods to the client
- Customs requirements
- Volume of shipment
You can transport goods by air, sea, rail or road. Each mode of transportation has a variety of options that present their own advantages. Choose the option that will best meet your needs.
Logistics is the management of the movement, storage and delivery of your goods or services to the customer. You can use a logistics plan to manage your inventory and keep an eye on costs.
Create a plan for the following:
- Inbound logistics — the flow of raw materials shipped to your business for manufacturing
- Internal logistics — the movement of raw materials and finished goods from one department of your business to another
- Outbound logistics — the preparation for shipment, and the transportation, of the finished products (i.e. packaging, shipping and handling)
By using logistics planning, you can cut down on production costs, speed up delivery and improve the response time for answering client requests.
International markets and logistics
If you are looking for information on how to get your goods to international markets, the following will give you insight on exporting and delivery of your goods.
Was this information useful?
Thank you, your submission has been sent.